NSDrawer
Casey McDermott
2018-07-03 02:08:35 UTC
NSDrawer is deprecated, but it's also perfect for our application.
We still haven't found a good substitute.

Our app has an outline view that loads various types of business records
into a tab view. Some of them have optional extra info. When it's small a panel is fine,
but some records have large tables: about the same size as the main record.
A drawer is perfect for viewing them side-by-side with the main info.
In a panel it obscure the main record, and users need to see both.

Is there a work-around for an attached window that pops out on the side,
and acts like a drawer?

Any idea when deprecation turns into total non-support?

Thanks,

Casey McDermott
www.TurtleSoft.com

This email sent to ***@ml-in.narkive.net
Shazron
2018-07-03 04:15:07 UTC
I think the best I've seen design wise is with the Safari browser itself.
Show/hide the sidebar (Shift-Cmd-L or View -> Show Sidebar) to see how it
could work (your main view will have to do some smart resizing).

Alastair Houghton
2018-07-03 06:37:39 UTC
Post by Casey McDermott
NSDrawer is deprecated, but it's also perfect for our application.
We still haven't found a good substitute.
[snip]
Post by Casey McDermott
Is there a work-around for an attached window that pops out on the side,
and acts like a drawer?
NSDrawer isn’t particularly special; it’s just a child window set to order below its parent (see [NSWindow addChildWindow:ordered:), with some views inside it. You can easily create something that works just like NSDrawer if you really want to.
Post by Casey McDermott
Any idea when deprecation turns into total non-support?
Well, I think NSDrawer was deprecated because the UI people felt it didn’t fit in with the current UI design, rather than for any technical reason, and as such I’d suppose that eliminating it would be a low priority. But the only people who could tell you Apple’s intentions are those people who work for Apple, and, sadly, they often aren’t able to because they aren’t allowed.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net

This email se
Casey McDermott
2018-07-03 23:14:53 UTC
Thanks for all the useful suggestions. We need to use a child window in the Windows
app, since MFC does not have anything like drawers. If necessary we can use the same approach
on Mac. But, maybe we'll get lucky and NSDrawer won't die. It only takes a few lines of code,
and it is just right for this one task.

Uli Kusterer
2018-07-14 01:13:29 UTC
Just for completeness' sake: You're aware of NSPopover?
Post by Casey McDermott
NSDrawer is deprecated, but it's also perfect for our application.
We still haven't found a good substitute.
Our app has an outline view that loads various types of business records
into a tab view. Some of them have optional extra info. When it's small a panel is fine,
but some records have large tables: about the same size as the main record.
A drawer is perfect for viewing them side-by-side with the main info.
In a panel it obscure the main record, and users need to see both.
Is there a work-around for an attached window that pops out on the side,
and acts like a drawer?
Any idea when deprecation turns into total non-support?
Thanks,
Casey McDermott
www.TurtleSoft.com
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/cocoa-dev/witness.of.teachtext%40gmx.net
Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de

This email sent to ***@ml-in.narkive.net
Casey McDermott
2018-07-14 15:46:33 UTC
The way I see it, NSPopover is best for ephemeral extra details. We may use it
in a few places, but it won't replace NSDrawer.

NSPanel is still modal, but longer lasting. We use it a lot, and it
looks better than the modal dialogs in the current app.

NSDrawer is a non-modal extension to the main window, designed to stick
around for a while.

In our case, we have business data entry forms, and then sometimes people
add an optional table of details. Sometimes they'll spend hours on the table (e.g. for
a construction estimate with hundreds of line items).

They still need to see/edit the main form at the same time, so NSPanel won't work,
and NSDrawer is just right. If it's ever removed entirely, we'll pretty much have
to duplicate it in code.

The current app switches between multiple layouts with and without the table,
but the new look is cleaner, and better suited for a single window with outline & tabs.

Thanks,

Casey McDermott
http://www.turtlesoft.com

On Fri, 7/13/18, Uli Kusterer <***@gmx.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: NSDrawer
To: "Casey McDermott" <***@turtlesoft.com>
Cc: cocoa-***@lists.apple.com
Date: Friday, July 13, 2018, 9:13 PM

Just for completeness' sake:
You're aware of NSPopover?

This email sent to ***@ml-in.narkive.net
Greg Weston
2018-07-15 06:21:49 UTC
Post by Casey McDermott
NSPanel is still modal, but longer lasting. We use it a lot, and it
looks better than the modal dialogs in the current app.
I read in digest mode so maybe this has already been pointed out, but NSPanel is not modal.

This email sent to ***@ml-in.narkive.net
Joel Norvell
2018-07-18 18:41:39 UTC
Hi Cocoa-dev people,

FWIW, the deprecation warning for NSDrawer says to "consider using NSSplitViewController."

Best regards,
Joel Norvell

Casey McDermott
2018-07-18 19:47:53 UTC
  FWIW, the deprecation warning for NSDrawer says to "consider using  NSSplitViewController."
I can see how NSSplitViewController might be a good replacement in some cases, but not here.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Casey McDermott
www.TurtleSoft.com

This email sen