Notarization porcess
James Merkel
2018-10-24 19:45:33 UTC
Has anyone actually been able to get an App notarized in Xcode?
After I upload the App to Apple for notarization, I get an e-mail from Apple after a few minutes that says the App has been notarized and I can now Export it.
However, back in Xcode in the Organizer window it says “Processing” and the “Export Notarized App” button isn’t enabled.
It just stalls out there.

A second question: Assuming notarization of the App eventually happens, do I also need to separately notarize the DMG that I distribute the App in (in the Terminal CLI) ?
If I need to do both, this could take nearly forever.

TIA,
Jim Merkel
Marco S Hyman
2018-10-24 20:55:44 UTC
Post by James Merkel
Has anyone actually been able to get an App notarized in Xcode?
Yes.
Post by James Merkel
However, back in Xcode in the Organizer window it says “Processing” and the “Export Notarized App” button isn’t enabled.
I didn’t have that issue. Well, I thought I had that issue but Xcode changed state to allow exporting within 5 minutes of receiving the message.
Post by James Merkel
A second question: Assuming notarization of the App eventually happens, do I also need to separately notarize the DMG that I distribute the App in (in the Terminal CLI) ?
If I need to do both, this could take nearly forever.
I created my .dmg using the notarized app. The website implies that I could create a .dmg with the un-notarized app then use "xcrun altool”. I’ve yet to find any more info on altool other than this blurb on developer.apple.com

"To submit software you've already published, upload it using the xcrun altool command line tool. Several file types are supported, including .zip, .pkg, and .dmg, so you can upload the same package you already distribute to users.”

Marc